About Metabolic and Endocrine Disorders
We oversee research that deals with the investigation, diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of all metabolic and endocrine disorders. This means that we support a wide range of research studies such as those involving adrenal glands and associated diseases, highcholesterol, genetics, obesity, bone disease, hormone glands, nutrition, polycystic ovarian syndrome, reproductive endocrinology, thyroid problems and surgery.
We are working with stakeholders (including Society for Endocrinology, funders of research, and patient support organisations) to promote the successful delivery of research studies in the NHS and to help plan new studies that will address patient’s needs. We support a wide range of research including:
- involving medicines for metabolic and endocrine disorders
- of adrenal and hormonal glands and associated diseases
- into thyroid gland disorders
- involving nutrition, obesity and high cholesterol
- about polycystic ovarian syndrome and reproductive endocrinology
- into genetics of endocrine & metabolic diseases, for example inherited endocrine tumour syndromes
- into metabolic bone disease such as osteoporosis and parathyroid disorders
- developing imaging technology for endocrine disease such as MRI and CT scans
- into surgery for endocrine disorders and bariatric surgery for obesity
Where there are considerable overlaps with other specialty areas, for example diabetes and renal, we work closely with our colleagues from across the Network to deliver high quality metabolic and endocrine disorders research.