Join Dementia Research
Join Dementia Research is a national service that offers you the chance to register your interest in taking part in dementia research, find suitable studies in your area, and let researchers know that you might be interested in taking part in their research. The service’s development is being funded by the Department of Health and it is delivered in a partnership with the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Alzheimer Scotland, Alzheimer’s Research UK and the Alzheimer’s Society.
The service runs nationwide across the United Kingdom.
People with dementia, their carers and anyone interested in participating in dementia research can register online (www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk), by post or via a telephone helpline provided by the charity partners.
To register, all you need to provide is some basic contact and health information which will allow people to be broadly matched to suitable studies. Researchers wishing to use the service for recruitment and feasibility can create studies, screen and approach suitable, matched volunteers.
There are range of materials to help promote the service, which can be ordered for free at nihrcrn.org.uk
For further information, email email@example.com.
You can also follow us on twitter at @beatdementia.
Key objectives of Join Dementia Research:
• To increase the number of people with dementia and their carers getting involved in dementia research.
• To contribute to achieving the ambition, set out in the Dementia Challenge, for 10% of dementia patients to be involved in research.
• To increase the co-ordination, speed and efficiency of the NIHR Clinical Research Network to recruit volunteers into dementia research studies.
Find out more about the challenge on dementia.
• Following a successful pilot in 2014, Join Dementia Research launched in January 2015.
• The service will be promoted to potential volunteers in the NHS, as a normal aspect of any dementia care pathway or service which cares for older people with dementia, and its use enables compliance with the Royal College of Psychiatrists’ Memory Services National Accreditation Programme (MSNAP) research standards.
• The service is promoted to the wider population and general public, working with charity partners.
• Eligible researchers are able to register for an account and use the system to establish whether their research proposal is feasible, based on the number of potentially suitable volunteers registered.
• Researchers wishing to use the service for recruitment are required to provide information to enable matching and information appropriate for sharing with volunteers.
• The service has been developed in a partnership between the NIHR, Alzheimer’s Research UK and the Alzheimer’s Society, with advice from the Health Research Authority (HRA).
• The Join Dementia Research service is held in a safe and secure database. Please address questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.